Aside from a few picnic tables, fire rings, and interpretive signs, Pirogue Island is an undeveloped 269-acre haven in the Yellowstone River, 180 miles from its mouth. It's accessed either by foot from the mainland, across a low-water channel, or by floaters in non-motorized boats.
Captain William Clark, of the Lewis and Clark expedition, is thought to have camped here with his men and Sacajewea and her baby Pomp while returning east toward St. Louis in July 1806, but Pirogue Island's human inhabitants have been far and few between. Much more common are the waterfowl, bald eagles, fox squirrels, whitetail deer and mulies that call the cottonwood-shaded island home.
The site has no developed trails, but the level island is easily bushwacked. Visitors are advised to use caution when crossing side channels, especially in moving water, and to keep an eye out for the island's scattered stash of moss agates.