The decommissioned Anaconda smelter stack, visible from almost anywhere in Anaconda, and up to 20 miles away, is the decommissioned chimney of the former Anaconda Copper Company smelter that dominated life in the Deer Lodge Valley from its founding in the 1880s until its closure in the early 1980s.
The stack itself, 585.5 feet high and constructed of brick masonry, was completed in 1919.
The chimney site is part of an ongoing Superfund cleanup, and currently no public access is allowed. A viewing station/interpretive area featuring a replica footprint of the stack is located at the intersection of Park Street (MT Highway 1) and Monroe Street at the city of Anaconda's eastern edge, adjacent to Goodman Park.
No camping—no anything other than viewing, really—is allowed.