The Zoo Music Awards (ZooMA)
are designed to thank and celebrate the talented musicians and show support to local music in our community. Our goal is to provide a platform for local artists to gain recognition and exposure in Montana's music scenes and, hopefully, beyond!
The program has many components to it: It starts with band submissions, then public voting, followed by an artist showcase on February 16, 2013, and, finally, an awards ceremony – red-carpet style – at the Wilma on March 2, 2013.
The Voting Process:
The polls will open to the public on January 10, 2013. The voter can vote on one artist/band per category. The public votes will determine the top five in each category who will then move on to the Showcase. Voting will close on February 10, 2013.
The Showcase is planned for February 16, 2013, and will feature 45 bands at nine venues, representing nine categories, all in one night. The Showcase again encourages community involvement in the voting process. After the Showcase night, each category will be narrowed down to three finalists. A panel of judges will then be tasked with choosing a winner in each of the nine categories.
The Awards Show:
The awards ceremony will be at the Wilma Theatre on March 2, 2013. The top three artists/bands of each category will be given free tickets to the awards show. Winners for each category will be announced during the ceremony. This must-see event will feature local celebrity presenters, as well as live performances by national act, The Moondoggies, and local artists.
Tickets for the awards show will be on sale next Friday (Jan. 11) at Rockin’ Rudy’s or online at brownpapertickets.com
$15 advance; $18 Day of show
The winner of each category will receive:
•Performance at Monks and live recording of your set by Montana Musicians and Artists Coalition
•Custom-Designed Event Poster (to promote your future events)
RulesEach artist and band must meet the following requirements:
1. Must be 18 years of age and be available to play in the Showcase (February 16, 2013) and on the night of the awards ceremony (March 2, 2013). If you are younger then 18, we must have parental/guardian consent and the venue must approve you to play the night of the showcase.
2. There will be a limit of two category entries per artist/band. Each entry must contain contact information for the entrant. “Entrant” is defined as the person submitting the entries. Entries without contact information will be disqualified. This is a self-submission contest. Please do not nominate a friend or colleague without their permission - they will be disqualified.
3. Entries must include your selected category(ies) MP3, bio, picture, and a web, Facebook or Reverbnation link. We will not accept any other music format, other than MP3. If entries are not complete with the above information, entries may be disqualified.
4. Entries will be accepted November 29, 2012 through January 6, 2013. Entries before or after these dates will be disqualified.
5. Entries will not be returned. Entrant gives the Missoula Independent
and Montana Radio Company permission to use their music, likeness, artwork, video and website for the purposes of promoting the awards program.
6. Prizes may not be redeemed for cash value and any incurred taxes are the responsibility of winners.
7. Artists/bands must include at least one legal Montana resident.
8. All materials submitted must be original to the artist or band.
9. Limitations on liability:
As a condition of entering, Entrants agree: (a) to release Missoula Independent
, Montana Radio Company and their respective parent and affiliated companies, officers, directors, employees, and agents from any and all liability, loss or damage incurred with respect to awarding, receipt, possession, and/or use or misuse of any prize; (b) under no circumstance will Entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and Contestant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential, or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (c) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this contest, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (d) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorney’s fees and court costs. By participating in this contest, Entrants and winners agree to be bound by these rules, the decisions of Missoula Independent
and Montana Radio Company, and any applicable federal, state or local laws and regulations.
How to Enter
1. Pick up to two music categories from the nine below:
•Bluegrass and Country
•Singer/Songwriter and Folk
•Heavy Metal and Punk
•Psychedelic and Jam Band
•Funk, Soul, and Reggae
•Hip-Hop and Spoken Word
•Jazz and Blues
•Electronic and DJ
•Indie Pop and Rock
2. Submit the following for the public online voting:
•Working MP3 (sorry, we cannot accept any other format)
•Category(ies) you're entering
•Artist/band photo (high resolution)
•Link to website, Facebook, Soundcloud, etc.
3. Promote yourself. This is a public voting event.
4. Entries may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Or you may drop off or mail your entry (on disk) to: Missoula Independent
, Attn: Zoo Music Awards, 317 S. Orange St, Missoula, MT 59801.
Tangles, Boom Swagger Salon, Vibrant Hearing, First Montana Bank
Montana Musicians and Artists Coalition, Le Petit and Kettlehouse
Sound Check Sponsors:
Piece of Mind and Stonefly Productions
Ole Beck VFW Post 209, Sean Kelly's, Palace (Badlander Compound), Ferqui's, The Broadway, Sunrise Saloon, Dark Horse, Monks, and Brooks and Browns
Abi Halland Photography, Mike Williams Photography, Missoula Soundworks, Club Shmed, Travis Yost, and Yellow Sea Horse Recording Studio